About Sevents Calendar
What is Sevents Calendar?
Sevents highlights events in the Portland, Maine area. The goal is simple: we wanted to show all the great events happening in and around Portland, and we wanted to give the people organizing events in the area a new place to promote what they're doing.
What if I want to find an event outside greater Portland or one that happens farther in the future?
Sevents is an at-a-glance look at what's happening in the area so that you can decide where to go after work, on the weekend, or whenever else you have a free hour and want something to do. Its main focus is on events happening soon, but you can select any date from our calendar to see later events. You're free to submit events farther in the future, too, for people who want to find events in the weeks and months ahead.
Let's talk details: what's "Portland"?
The point of Sevents is to find events that are easy to attend for people around Portland. In general, we're looking for events that people can reach within 20 or 30 minutes from the center of the region. We also may accept or list larger events from a little farther away as well.
What kinds of events are allowed?
Sevents is limited to general interest events that are open to the public. We're still experimenting with the best mix of events to show on the site. For now, here are a few kinds of events you won't see listed:
- Meetings of membership-based organizations. If your group is putting on an event open to the public, though – like a business group's charity auction, for example – that's perfect for Sevents!
- Town or city council meetings. You will occasionally see public meetings that address a topic concerning the region as a whole.
- Political meetings and rallies.
- Multi-day educational courses or workshops, or courses that require registration days or weeks in advance. We're trying to make it easy to find people to do on a certain day or night; while these classes are great, it's tough to display all the details necessary in the Sevents format.
- Ongoing or weekly sales or specials, and sales on a specific item. We'll be playing around to find a good mix of shopping events, but as a general rule, things like $3 drink nights, college nights, or $1 off coffee won't end up on Sevents.
- Yard sales. Check classifieds sites to find yard sales around the area.
For more information about what is and isn't allowed, check the rules of the road.
If you're looking for more, there are other great calendars that have you covered. It's a good idea to check these calendars for any search, actually; they often have Portland-area events that Sevents doesn't. We encourage you to submit your events to these more comprehensive calendars, too, to get the most exposure you can for your event.
Who runs Sevents?
Sevents is designed, coded, and run in Bangor, the heart and hub of Maine, by One Ten Digital, LLC. The calendar itself features events collected from around the area and submitted by visitors to the site. If you have questions about the site or want to know more, please email us.